Hương Ngô is a interdisciplinary artist born as a refugee and based everywhere. Her work explores the possibilities and problematics of nomadism, the decolonial gesture, and collective resistance. She was a fellow at the Whitney Independent Study Program and recently received the Fulbright U.S. Scholars Grant to travel and realize a project in Vietnam.
Download Full CV
Performers: Hương Ngô Daniel Martin
Camera & Direction: Hương Ngô
Installation with Digital Videos, Photographs, Modular Clothing, Escape Pods, Felt Hazmat Suit, Instruction Posters and Manuals.
Exhibition History of Escape and Re-Entry:
- 2011 “Shame the Devil,” Curated by Petrushka Bakin. The Kitchen, NY.
- 2006 “Nothing to Fear,” Curated by Nadine Wasterman. Art Center of the Capital Region, Troy, NY.
- 2005 International Biennale of Contemporary Art 2005, Second Sight. Curated by Lynne Warren of MCA Chicago. National Gallery in Prague, Czech Republic.
- 2005 “Cultural Self Defense,” Curated by Malian Lahey. Kunstraum Walcheturm, Zurich, Switzerland.
- 2005 “Turning Tricks,” First Draft Gallery. Surry Hills, Australia.
- 2004 “Re-Entry,” Curated by Julie Rodrigues-Widholm, Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago, IL.
- 2004 “The End of the End of the Line,” Curated by Jo Del Pesco and Jenée Misraje. Soap Factory, Minneapolis, MN.
- 2004 “Portotonic,” Three-person show with Matthew Steinke and Joshua Rosenstock. Lump Gallery, Raleigh, NC.
- 2004 “Prototopia,” Triangle Project Space, San Antonio, TX.
- 2004 “Escape,” Heaven Gallery, Chicago, IL.
- 2004 MFA Thesis Show. G2 Gallery, Chicago, IL.
Press for Escape and Re-Entry:
- 2006 “The Art of the Hazmat Suit,” Akimov Stanislov. Khooligan Magazine, (Dec 2006).
- 2006 “What Are the Alternatives,” Sarah Pearl. New City Chicago, (Sept 14, 2006), 14.
- 2006 My jsme velice podvratní, Lenka Dolanová. A2 kulturní týdeník, (May, 2006), 14-15.
- 2006 “Artists Respond to Culture of Fear and Warnings,” Tresca Weinstein. Times Union. (January 15, 2006).
- 2006 Review of “Nothing to Fear,” Bob Goepfert. The Record. (January 5, 2006).
- 2005 “Final Round for Battling Biennales,” Kristin Barendsen. The Prague Post, (September 2005).
- 2005 “Biennale Gamble: Doubling Down,” Richard Vine. Art In America, (September 2005), 48.
- 2005 “Kunst im Doppelpack - Zwei Kunstbiennalen in Prag,” Kristin Schneider. Radio Prag, (August 2005).
- 2005 Review of Prototopia, Anjali Gupta. Art Papers, (March/Apr 2005), 56.
- 2005 Escape Poster Series, Huong Ngo. Runway, (Spring 2005).
- 2004 “Where The Hell Are We?” Jon Hunt. Minnesota City Pages, Volume 25 #1233 (July 21, 2004).
- 2004 “Show Muses On Our Nervous Times,” Lauren Viera. The Chicago Tribune, (May 2004): 27.
- 2004 “Art Groupie,” Carrie Sandler. UR Chicago, (May 2004): 17.