Hương Ngô is an artist and educator, born in Hong Kong, of Vietnamese and Chinese origin, raised in North Carolina, and based in Paris and New York.
Download Full CV
Performers: Hương Ngô Daniel Martin
Camera & Direction: Hương Ngô
Installation with Digital Videos, Photographs, Modular Clothing, Escape Pods, Felt Hazmat Suit, Instruction Posters and Manuals.
“Imprisoned by four walls
(To the north, the crystal of non-knowledge
a landscape to be invented
to the south, reflective memory
to the east, the mirror
to the west, stone and the song of silence)
I wrote messages, but received no reply”
— Octavio Paz, Envoi
Exhibition History of Escape and Re-Entry:
- 2011 “Shame the Devil,” Curated by Petrushka Bakin. The Kitchen, NY.
- 2006 “Nothing to Fear,” Curated by Nadine Wasterman. Art Center of the Capital Region, Troy, NY.
- 2005 International Biennale of Contemporary Art 2005, Second Sight. Curated by Lynne Warren of MCA Chicago. National Gallery in Prague, Czech Republic.
- 2005 “Cultural Self Defense,” Curated by Malian Lahey. Kunstraum Walcheturm, Zurich, Switzerland.
- 2005 “Turning Tricks,” First Draft Gallery. Surry Hills, Australia.
- 2004 “Re-Entry,” Curated by Julie Rodrigues-Widholm, Museum of Contemporary Art, Chicago, IL.
- 2004 “The End of the End of the Line,” Curated by Jo Del Pesco and Jenée Misraje. Soap Factory, Minneapolis, MN.
- 2004 “Portotonic,” Three-person show with Matthew Steinke and Joshua Rosenstock. Lump Gallery, Raleigh, NC.
- 2004 “Prototopia,” Triangle Project Space, San Antonio, TX.
- 2004 “Escape,” Heaven Gallery, Chicago, IL.
- 2004 MFA Thesis Show. G2 Gallery, Chicago, IL.
Press for Escape and Re-Entry:
- 2006 “The Art of the Hazmat Suit,” Akimov Stanislov. Khooligan Magazine, (Dec 2006).
- 2006 “What Are the Alternatives,” Sarah Pearl. New City Chicago, (Sept 14, 2006), 14.
- 2006 My jsme velice podvratní, Lenka Dolanová. A2 kulturní týdeník, (May, 2006), 14-15.
- 2006 “Artists Respond to Culture of Fear and Warnings,” Tresca Weinstein. Times Union. (January 15, 2006).
- 2006 Review of “Nothing to Fear,” Bob Goepfert. The Record. (January 5, 2006).
- 2005 “Final Round for Battling Biennales,” Kristin Barendsen. The Prague Post, (September 2005).
- 2005 “Biennale Gamble: Doubling Down,” Richard Vine. Art In America, (September 2005), 48.
- 2005 “Kunst im Doppelpack - Zwei Kunstbiennalen in Prag,” Kristin Schneider. Radio Prag, (August 2005).
- 2005 Review of Prototopia, Anjali Gupta. Art Papers, (March/Apr 2005), 56.
- 2005 Escape Poster Series, Huong Ngo. Runway, (Spring 2005).
- 2004 “Where The Hell Are We?” Jon Hunt. Minnesota City Pages, Volume 25 #1233 (July 21, 2004).
- 2004 “Show Muses On Our Nervous Times,” Lauren Viera. The Chicago Tribune, (May 2004): 27.
- 2004 “Art Groupie,” Carrie Sandler. UR Chicago, (May 2004): 17.